Sunday 14 August 2016

Cognitive Flow and Learning
By Zalino Bona

An activity that gets me into that state where I’m totally immersed and lost to the world, is reading. Suspenseful books have that effect on me. Another activity that can take me to a new world is crafts; especially when I’m creating something. Egg decorating, knitting, sewing and making things with fabric or paper get me into that state where I’m so caught up in what I’m doing that eating and sleeping can seem like distractions.                                                                               

 Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi calls this state of engagement ‘flow.” He describes the flow experience as: “when a person is completely involved in what he or she is doing, when the concentration is very high, when the person knows moment by moment what the next steps should be …” For Jill Suttie, it is “that feeling of complete immersion in an activity, where we’re so engaged that our worries, sense of time, and self-consciousness seem to disappear.” 

                                            Image result for cognitive flow images

When I am engaged in an activity like egg decorating, for example, I think of a design in my mind, and I use different materials and work with the goal of transferring the design in my mind to the eggshell. I get instant feedback as I see the plain eggshell being transformed into a multi colored object with swirls, lines or other geometric designs. The challenge lies in working with tiny beads, paint, yarn and other materials on a fragile eggshell, while trying to create something aesthetically pleasing and as perfect as possible.

Why do I experience flow when I am engaged in an activity like this? It is hands on and challenging. I can increase the level of challenge by changing the material or making the design more intricate. There are clear goals and feedback, and I enjoy working on it. All these conditions foster flow, according to Jill Suttie. The conditions for flow, according to Csikszentmihalyi are clear goals and feedback, and the right level of challenge: “ the feeling that what you can do is more or less in balance with what needs to be done, that is, challenges and skills are pretty much in balance.”According to Csikszentmihalyi, Suttie and others, hands on activities, rather than lectures, the right level of challenge which requires a good balance between the challenge of the activity and the skills of the person engaged in that activity, team projects, and giving a wide array of choices can be powerful motivators. And when students can connect what they are learning in the classroom to their own lives, they’re more likely to be more invested and engaged.

A wise mentor once said that “technology is useful because it enables us to know and access what’s out there so we are not reinventing the wheel.” The internet has tons of ideas on all the things I love to do. My personal learning network contains a list of resources that I could dig into for ideas and suggestions. Some sites that I love to explore and turn to for ideas are:
www.hobbycraft.co.uk

If flow helps me to take learning to a deeper level, as a teacher, I believe this is an area I should be exploring to make my lessons more meaningful to students and to take them to new levels of learning. I need to explore ways to create conditions that foster flow in my class to enable my students to engage with their lessons to enhance their learning experiences. 

I also need to be aware of things that could get in the way of flow: not having needed materials at hand, lack of time, and distractions in the form of other people trying to talk to us when we are trying to concentrate. Jill Suttie lists the constrains of public schools: rigid curriculum, testing, grades, and time limit as obstacles to flow in classrooms.

Finally, though watching videos is reportedly not an activity that fosters flow, it is one of the best ways of gaining knowledge. So, here’s a video which will hopefully help us to learn more about this process called flow: What the Science of Flow can Teach us About Limitless Performance.



Resources

Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi: Motivating People to Learn. (April 11, 2002). Retrieved from http://www.edutopia.org/mihaly-csikszentmihalyi-motivating-people-learn

Suttie, Jill. (April 16, 2012). Can Schools Help Students Find Flow? Retrieved from http://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/item/can_schools_help_students_find_flow


Suttie, Jill. (April 7, 2012). Eight Tips for Fostering Flow in the Classroom. Retrieved from 
http://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/item/eight_tips_for_fostering_flow_in_the_classroom

No comments:

Post a Comment