Monday 3 April 2017

Understanding and Applying the Standards

By Zalino Bona




One of the most important activities of a teacher is translating a standard into learning experiences. Unpacking a standard and backwards mapping help a teacher to do this.
Unpacking a standard is the process of translating a standard into lessons. Unpacking a standard helps me, the teacher, to be clear about what the standard means.

First, I need to identify:

-         What students need to know

-         What they need to do to demonstrate that they are meeting the standards.

I need to pay attention to:

Nouns: They help me to identify the concepts (character, plot, setting)

Verbs: They help me to identify the tasks (explain, compare, analyze)

Identifying the concepts and tasks help me to know what and how I need to teach the standards.

Big Ideas and Essential Questions: The big ideas are core concepts or principles. Identifying the big ideas helps me to know what is important and what I should focus on. Essential questions help me to think about those ideas. For example, a big idea in a fourth-grade reading class could be: Writers use diagrams to help readers understand important ideas. The essential questions could be: How do readers figure out what the diagrams mean? How do readers know what is important?

Backwards Mapping is basically a three-step process of creating a lesson plan by starting with the end/goals in mind. First, I need to identify what the desired goals are: what I want my students to know and be able to do. Next, I will decide how I will know when students meet those goals, and plan relevant instructional activities which will help students to reach the desired goals. 

How these two processes helped me understand the standards:


Learning about ‘unpacking a standard’ helped me to understand the process of translating a standard into a lesson. Identifying the nouns and verbs helps me to break down the standard into manageable pieces: what students need to know and do to meet the standard. Knowing how to translate a standard into a lesson helps me to be clear about what I need to teach and to design activities that will help students to accomplish the learning goals.

‘Backwards Design’ helped me to see the importance of having clear and specific goals. It helps me to think about what I should look at first; what I want to see at the end of the unit. For example, if a fourth-grade writing literacy standard is: ‘The student will use grade level, descriptive vocabulary words,’ at the end of the unit, I will look for evidence of descriptive words in the student’s writing. To help the student get to that level, I need to plan lessons and activities which will help the student to learn descriptive words at grade level and to use those words in his/her writing.

Backwards mapping makes a lot of sense to me because it helps me to focus on what’s important. It pushes me to think more deeply about my lessons. While developing lesson plans, I need to be asking questions like: What is the goal of this unit? What should I do to help my students reach the goal? What should happen in the classroom? What skills would I need to teach? What would be the evidence that the desired goals have been achieved?
Learning about unpacking a standard has helped me to understand that it is important for me to be clear about concepts and tasks that are encapsulated in a standard. Backwards mapping helps me to think about how I would apply them in my classroom.
How is backwards mapping helpful? "We cannot say how to teach for understanding or which material and activities to use until we are quite clear about which specific understandings we are after and what such understandings look like in practice."(Wiggins and Mctighe) I think one of the main strengths of backward mapping is that it is goal-focused. Keeping the goal or a picture of the end design in my mind as I develop the lesson would help me to know what I would need to focus on to help students to accomplish that goal. I would also have a reasonably good idea about how I would assess their performance as well as align instruction to help my students to reach that goal.
I do have questions about how it will be implemented in my classroom. A question that comes to my mind is: Does this mean we may not cover all material? If we pick and choose only what is needed to reach the desired goals, will there be gaps in our students’ learning? When will they ever get to cover those sections that were skipped? Will this in any way influence the outcomes of tests they are required to take?


References:

Backward Design. (Updated: December, 2013). Retrieved from http://edglossary.org/backward-design/

Mctighe, Jay. (December, 2012). Common Core Big Idea 4: Map Backward From Intended Results. Retrieved from:


McTighe, Jay. (January, 2014). Greatest Lessons Learned. Retrieved from:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUtzbJtS1aY

Wiggins, Grant and McTighe, Jay. (n.d.). Understanding by Design: Backward Design. Retrieved from

.

No comments:

Post a Comment